Monday, January 9

Chicago Days 3 & 4

I started recapping my Chicago trip so long ago. See parts 1 and 2 here.  But obviously, I have to finish!

Saturday - 11/8/14 - Brunch and museums!

On Saturday morning, I had the best pancake I'd never had. Ever. And probably will ever have. 

Let's start from the beginning. The goal on Saturday was to explore the Museum of Science and Industry. This came very highly recommended and I love museums, so I thought to give it a try! I rode out on the L like I had the day before to get to another line to reach the museum. After the 30 minute ride on the L, I got hungry, so I jumped off and looked for a nearby breakfast location. A quick yelp search brought me to The Bongo Room. When I got there, I knew I had found the right place as the wait was about 40 minutes long. After being seated, I split some red velvet pancakes and a breakfast burrito with my dining partner. With the red velvet and the glaze, I thought for sure that the pancakes were going to be too sweet, but to my surprise, they weren't. They were dense and subtly flavored. The breakfast burrito was good... but not life changing. 

By the time breakfast was done, it was around 1:30 in the afternoon. Instead of bothering with the train, I hitched an Uber ride to the museum. I only spent a few hours in the Museum. It was full of well.... science. There were exhibits about storms and a miniature Seattle with a train running through it. While I enjoyed the Submarine Exhibit, I'm not sure I could ever submerge in a submarine! I think I would be too scared. Another favorite exhibit was "Yesterday's Main Street" where we got to see an American street in the early 1900s. 

After spending some time there, I went to UChicago. Oh! How I wish I had gotten accepted there back in the day. Visiting probably would have made me try harder on my application. I loved the small old homes, bookstores and churches. The diners really made me wish I had lived there. I stepped in a few of the local bookstores as the sun set outside. In all honesty, I was looking forward to meeting Dan Pashman, who was promoting his book, the Sporkful (titled after a podcast of the same name), but a few misteps and spending too long at the museum delayed me. Still though, walking around the campus was wonderful. 

Dinner that night was at Goose Island Brewery. If you're a casual drinker with an awareness of beer brands, you've heard of this brand. While the food was nothing to write home about, the beers were great! I really enjoyed some of the beers! If I remember correctly, Sofie was my favorite. I think I'm a fan of sweet and sour tastes. 


Sunday - 11/9/15 - Chicago Field Museum

Sunday was my last day, and mostly spent in the Chicago Field Museum. This was one of my most favorite places. The biggest attraction for me was seeing the Ghost and the Darkness, two man eating lions from the Tsavo region in Africa. 

There were plenty of other awesome sights in the museum though. There was an exhibit dedicated to the religion of voodoo in Haiti, a hall of diamonds and rare gems, and a rich history of tribes native to the northwest US. It was also home to the largest T-Rex fossil. 

A quick lunch wrapped up this fun trip. A fancy hot pocket and stuffed mushroom, featured below. 





12 comments:

  1. I haven't spent nearly enough time in Chicago - gonna have to go back and check out those museums

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful trip! That pancake looks life changing, LOL.

    Kathryn • simplykk.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pancakes sound amazing! Chicago looks like it has some interesting museums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love museums! And those stuffed mushrooms look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that pancake looks unreal. I love chicago food, deep dish pizza is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the food looks delish. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wanted to see the T-rex fossil too!

    Tienne — foregathers.life/blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, looks like you had a great time in Chicago! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The museum of science and industry is one of my favorites =o) Great post and glad to see you liked Chicago =o)

    https://dreamofadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit the museum.

    Great time in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my jaw dropped upon seeing that pancake--what a treat! chicago is on my must-visit list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome collection of contains and great articals thank mam

    IPOWALA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!